The Birmingham Fair and Autumn Fair- Grassroot represented Meghalaya in the Birmingham Spring Fair(4th Feb – 8th Feb), National Exhibition Center, UK and The Autumn Fair(16th Oct – 23rd Oct), India Expo Centre, geater Noida, New Delhi, where it showcased Meghalaya’s handmade products such as eri, muga, mulberry silk shawls, stoles and furnishings of various sorts from Garo Hills and Ri-Bhoi District, under the Department of Sericulture, Meghalaya.
Climatic Change Study - Grassroot was involved in a study of ‘Climatic Change’ under the ‘International Center for Integrated Development, where it conducted brief studies in and around Shillong, interviewing people about their understanding of the ‘Climate Change’.
Meghalaya Election Watch - In and around the same year Grassroot under the Association of Democratic Reforms, New Delhi ran a campaign on the right to vote through the Meghalaya Election Watch. The study was done by analyzing the affidavit of the candidates.
Minimum Wages Act – Grassroot along with thirty other different organizations took part in the campaign for hiking the minimum wage in the state.
NEDFi Meeting - Grassroot team member attended a meeting organised by North East Development Financial Institute to discuss on the possibility of enchaining skills of the producer vis a visa exporting their goods.
Youth Development – Grassroot along with Seng Samla Wahingdoh organized a youth development programme to educate the youth in various fields in order to attain more developed youngsters.
Community Radio with Gyan Vani, Mawlynnong village - GRASSROOT in collaborating with IGNOU to mobilize community members and to raise issues on a platform of community radio was initiated.
Political Rights Campaign - GRASSROOT and the National Election Watch conducted another study on the affidavits filed by candidates for the Member of Parliament to the 16th Lok Sabha election and also for the bye election to the Meghalaya Assembly for the then 17 laitumkhrah constituency.
Environmental Day Commemoration – Working aloside NEDFi and the Social Work Department St Edmund’s College, GRASSROOT in the environmental campaign supported the No-plastic campaign and launched environment friendly bags with a personal pledge on each.
Human Rights Day - Grassroot along with VHAM, NEEDS, WMPA and IIHR came together to enhance the knowledge of human rights violation and its impact by organising music concert called ‘rock your rights’.
Human rights In-Still –Grassroot along with other organisations commemorated as Human Rights Day on the 10th December by allowing pictures to speak louder than words. These pictures were exhibited for two weeks for all to see.
Awareness Programme on Tuberculosis – Working with Dr Khongkliam of Pongtung Village PHC, Grassroot conducted a one day awareness programme on Tuberculosis which was held at Pynther village, with an objective to equip communities with knowledge based information about and on TB.
Political Rights Campaign – Grassroot had a meeting on political rights campaign with Toki Blah and other responsible persons from different background was held at Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong.
Domestic Violence Act 2005/ Prohibition of Child Marriage Act,2006/PCPNDT Act State Level Meeting - Grassroot took part in the meeting organised by Impulse NGO Network and Women Power Connect an interactive State Level Meeting.
Export Awareness Workshop - This workshop was organised on the scope and opportunities from North East States of India.
Project Management Workshop, New Bongaigaon, Assam - The workshop was organised to impart the skills meant to plan project better, and for proper implementation.
1st Peace Building training - Peace Building Training aimed at assisting young and elderly people of different communities irrespective of caste, creed and religion to develop a Culture of Peace based on Justice.
State Level Seminar 'Revisiting Social Work Education and Profession' – The seminar focussed on the challenges faced by theNorthEast in the field of social work and how to understand and practice the theory in the field.
Shillong CMS VATAVARAN - It organised a Panel Discussion on Climate Change’ that aims to bring on board the policy makers, researchers, public and private sectors and the civil society.
Video and Photo Documentation
- The workshop aimed to train the youth to create an album that speaks about organisation and its work or to make a small movie for advocacy purposes.
Human Rights Programme, Guwahati
- Trained participants with human rights laws, Humanitarian Laws, International Criminal Justice system and so on.
Download the Grassroot Newsletter [Volume 1]
Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme – Under the Christian Medical Association of India this training was conducted to sensitise NGOs to register for Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme.
Feminist Counselling - Participants were trained on definition of Violence, type of violence, counselling, quality of a counsellor and principle of feminist counselling.
Health Camp - GRASSROOT in collaboration with MSCWO organized a health camp cum awareness program in Mawpyrthuh village. The objective is working together with other FNGO for the welfare of the people.
Health Camp - GRASSROOT joined hands with SYNGKHONG RYMPEI THYMMAI along with Doctor Passah assigned by DMHO to organize a Health Camp in Mawmuthoh village which is at a distance of three kilometers from Smit. There were 274 patients who benefitted from the camp.
Health Camp - The students of St. Edmunds Social Work Department in collaboration with Grassroot, organized a free health camp on the 18th of October 2012 at Lad Mawphlang village. The programme became successful with the help of Doctors, staffs of Laitryngew PHC and Grassroot members.
Environment Day - The Environment Day programme was held at Mawsahew PHC.100 tree saplings was planted at the PHC vicinity under the Department of Cherrapunjee Ecological Project Restoration of Degraded lands under sohra plateau, Govt. of Meghalaya.
Total Awareness Campaign - To strengthen its rapport and cooperation with the villages that fall under the project area, Grassroot in collaboration with State Council for Science Technology & Environment (SCSTE) organized ‘Total Awareness Campaign’ at Ringer Village.
Trip to Rajasthan on ‘Access to Justice’ – Organised by Impulse NGO Network, Shillong different comparisons of the PRI with the Local Dorbar were made but not trying to change the whole Dorbar Systems that already existed. Thus bringing more improvements like allowing women to take part in decision making and also playing a role in the Dorbars.
Slow Food Festival – Working with Social Work Department of St. Edmund’s College Shillong and in collaboration with various organizations and social agencies. Grassroot participated in this programme with the support and collaboration of the various villages like Ladmawphlang, Laitmawsiang, Sohra, Umphyrnai Rngi who contributed with their locally available resources such as wild vegetables which have medicinal values. Locally available snacks such as pukhlein, putharo, phandieng were the highlights of the stall.
Malaria Training for ASHAs in East Khasi Hills and Jaintia Hills – Working under Voluntary Health Association of India in collabrotation with VHAM, StateVector Borne Diseases Control Programme and District Malaria Offices Grassroot took part as field facilitator training ASHA for Malaria programme.
Legal Awareness Workshop
- Grassroot realized that working towards empowerment of the community can bring a change in the society in the long run. This is through sensitization of the people at large. In this regard, a one day legal awareness workshop was organized for the different members of the dorbar under shillong jurisdiction, women’s group, and youths of Shillong.
International Women’s Day
– Working with the Social Welfare Department in collaboration with The Meghalaya State Commission for Women & Partner NGO’s
Release of Animation
- As part of the organisation’s endeavour to preserve our oral tradition, an animated film on ‘The Peacock and the Sun’ was released on the 15th December 2012. The objective was “to encourage young minds understand where their roots are”. The animation was made possible through a scholarship which was won by Mayfereen Ryntathiang, President, Grassroot, through the Million Kisses Foundation, USA and a small funding from the World View Impact, London and Shillong.
State Level Training to NGO Partners on RNTCP Schemes under Public Private Partnership
– Organised by CMAI and State TB Control Society the objective of this training programme is to learn about various schemes implemented by RNTCP.To sensitize NGOs to register under RNTCP schemes.
State Level Training Programme on SJSRY/Proposed NULM, Social Sector Convergence with various Schemes
– Under the Indian Institute of Enterpreneurship and the sponsorship of the Ministry of Housing and Urban poverty Alleviation, Govt of India, Grassroot was able to attend the Programme to understand the concept of SJSRY/Proposed NULM and Social sector convergence-convergence with various schemes, to discuss about the implementation approaches of different elements of SJSRY and Proposed NULM and to discuss about Social sector Conergences-convergence with various schemes for poverty alleviation like SJSRY/NULM, JNNURM, RAY etc.
Download the Grassroot Newsletter [Volume 3]
Download the Grassroot Newsletter [Volume 4]
Download the Grassroot Newsletter [Volume 5]