Sustainable Livelihood and Income Generation for Youths
Sustainable Livelihood and Income generation for youths is a project initiated by Grassroot Shillong to support youths on skills training on carpentry. This project is supported by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
This is a three months training program for youths and is a part of the objective of Grassroot, that is to imbibe entrepreneurial and livelihood generation skills amongst the youth of Meghalaya. Don Bosco Tech Nongstoin, West Khasi Hills District is our technical support institution.
The training targeted 30 youths between the ages of 18 years to 35 years old who are interested in carpentry. The mobilization was supported by various departments, community local heads, Village Organizations (VOs) and SHGs.
The carpentry training hope to create sustainable livelihood opportunities for the youths, breaking the unemployment barrier and paved way for youth to start up their own furniture unit or enterprises or get proper wage employment with furniture makers.
Objectives of the project:
1. To reduce unemployment of youth in the community.
2. To improve the livelihood of young people.
3. To empower trainees (Youth) to start-up capital after completion of their training.
Skills training program was commence on 11th April, 2022 with 30 youths. The training was concluded on the 11th of July, 2022 and its valedictory program was held on 13th July, 2022. Prior to the training trainees were screen and oriented about the training program. Various others trainings were included apart from the course module of the training.
Following are the training and activities included:
1. Training on scheme and services provided by the Government of Meghalaya for entrepreneurs or individuals who wish to start up their own unit or enterprise. The session was taken up by the Functional Manager of the District of Commerce Industries Centre (DCIC).
2. Financial Literacy training: This training was taken up by Meghalaya State Rural and Livelihood Society (MSRLS). In this session the trainees were trained on the importance of finance and savings.
3. Entrepreneurship session was taken up by Grassroot team with the trainees to further enhancing their knowledge on how to start their own unit/enterprise.
4. Credit bank linkages session with the trainees was taken by few resource persons from different banks. The topics covered were on opening of bank accounts, availability of loans which they can avail for future enterprises and the repayment process.
5. An Exposure Visit to Don Bosco Technical School, Shillong was taken up to provide a platform for the youths to interact with other institutions. During this visit the trainees had an interaction session with the trainers and the students of Don Bosco Technical School Shillong.
All 30 trainees trained under skills carpentry completed the training program. The training concluded on 13 th July, 2022. Grassroot collaborate with Furniture association post completion of the training out of which 100% of the trainees will further upscale and placed them with the association.
Frequent visits and monitoring will be done with trainees placed for a period of 12 months starting from the day of placement. More collaboration with Furniture Association of West Khasi Hills and trainees for further up scaling their enterprise through entrepreneurship building and enterprise promotion session.
TRAINING ON SCHEMES AND SERVICES BY DCIC AND FINANCIAL LITERACY BY MSRLS
VISITED BY FURNITURE ASSOCIATION AND CREDIT BANK LINKAGES
EXPOSURE TRIP TO DON DOSCO TECH SCHOOL SHILLONG
©2022 Grassroot Shillong